Late last night, as I watched a wave of red spread across the electoral map, I realized I needed to come up with a plan. I needed to decide right away how I was going to spend the next four years responding to the presidency of Donald Trump. I posted on Facebook the following five daily commitments, now slightly revised. What am I missing?
I commit to…
1. Pray for him and pray for us
2. Do whatever I can (especially in my local community) to protect the people who, based on Trump’s rhetoric and platform, have the most to fear from a Trump presidency — women, people of color, LGBTQ people, Muslims, refugees, immigrants, and the disabled — as well as the very Creation itself, which is crying out for mercy
3. Name, engage, and subvert the “powers and principalities” of racism and misogyny that were given a boost of confidence on election night, reminding them (and whoever else will listen) that Love has already won and that their time is up
4. Celebrate publicly those instances in which Trump makes decisions or uses words that promote peace, justice, and the wholeness of all people and all Creation
and for all those other times…
5. In Christian love, be the biggest pain in his ass I can be.
Don't miss the next post.
Subscribe to get new posts and exclusive content in a weekly email newsletter.